Below are some general pointers to help you pray about Parliament, politics, government and the role of the church. Join our mailing list to receive termly prayer letters.
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
– 1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV UK
- Pray for your MP: that they will make wise decisions for the good of their constituents and that they will be able to cope with the stresses and strains of public office. Why not write to your MP to let them know that you are praying for them?
- Pray for the work of the House of Commons and the House of Lords: that good and just decisions will be made and that the tone of debate is measured and constructive.
- Pray for Christian MPs, Peers and staff: that their faith will grow and that they will seek to serve God, being salt and light in Parliament. Pray that all Christians working in Parliament will model disagreeing well and be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
- Thank God for the freedoms we enjoy to pray and worship and to participate in public life.
- Pray for politics of wisdom, integrity, self-sacrifice and policymaking for the good of all.
- Pray for effective and gracious Christian presence and influence in political debate.
- Pray for the wise explanation of God’s truth in the public square.
- Pray that the wisdom of the Bible would be listened to in what it says about human flourishing across all policy areas.
- Pray that the Christian groups in each of the main parties would grow in influence and the positive contribution that they can make.
- Pray for wisdom for the Queen, the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.
- Pray for integrity, truth and compassion throughout Government.
- Pray for the positive influence of God’s people for the good of all throughout all Government departments.
- Pray that the UK Government would be a strong force for good in foreign policy and bringing relief to those suffering throughout the world.
- Pray for greater Christian engagement in local and national politics and that churches will effectively support and encourage those who feel called to serve God in politics.
- Pray for good relationships between churches and their local MPs and that churches will seek ways in which they can support MPs in serving their communities.